categories - Category Theory list
From: "Eduardo J. Dubuc" <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>
To: George Janelidze <janelg@telkomsa.net>
Cc: Colin McLarty <colin.mclarty@case.edu>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Bourbaki & category theory
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:46:29 -0300	[thread overview]

It seems to me that all this discussion concerning whether the notion of
isomorphism comes before of that of morphism or the other way around, or
if Bourbaki had it or not,  is meaningful only on historical basis.

The notion of category as an abstraction of the notion of morphism would
had been forgotten and it would have disappear from mathematical practice.

What happened, as an unexpected consequence of the definition of
category,  was that the notion of universal property found its home, and
may be this is what Bourbaki, which already had the notion of universal
property, missed (I say may be).

This we can see it from the beginning of the first substantial
contributions of categories to mathematics, as for example in the work
of Kan on adjoint functors, or in the fact that a trivial statement as
Yoneda's Lemma is the most important fact in Category Theory.

e.d.