categories - Category Theory list
* The Idea of Structure as Data and Conditions
@ 2012-05-25 22:09 Ellis D. Cooper
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ellis D. Cooper @ 2012-05-25 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

In the 1952 document at
http://mathdoc.emath.fr/archives-bourbaki/PDF/nbt_029.pdf the only
mathematician
"pr\'{e}sent" referenced by first name only is Sammy.

I was permitted to audit a graduate course on category theory guided
by Sammy at Columbia University in the early 1960s.
I recall his insistence that mathematical structure is given by data
and conditions. Is that idea
implicit or explicit in Bourbaki?  Has that idea been superceded? How
does it relate to the
development of  algebraic theories as understood by Lawvere, Linton,
Barr-Wells, the Elephant, and so on?

Ellis D. Cooper

* Re: The Idea of Structure as Data and Conditions
@ 2012-05-29  3:15 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2012-05-29  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Lengyel, FEJ Linton; +Cc: categories

On Mon, 28 May 2012 07:25:19 PM EDT, Florian Lengyel
<florian.lengyel@gmail.com>, protesting my assertion that

>> Virtually no one ever wants to restrict attention to functions that
respect
>> (preserve or reflect) membership (other than "preserve" between ordinals).

remonstrated that

> Within set theories that satisfy the axiom of regularity, one's attention
> is restricted to functions that both preserve and reflect self-membership.
>
> f(x) \in f(x) iff x\in x

Hereto, I in turn ask: Why only self-membership? why not membership outright

-- f(x) \in f(y) if (and/or only if) x \in y -- ?

And how often, really, do we actually impose either of those restrictions? (Or

did FL inadvertently omit a "sometimes" between "is" and "restricted" :-)  ?)

Cheers, -- Fred