categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Two questions
@ 2012-06-23  3:09 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2012-06-23  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 01:32:10 +0200, George Janelidze wrote, inter alia:

> 6. Concerning your second question: What you saw (with a special argument
> for 2) is on the same Page 21 of the above-mentioned Eilenberg--Moore
paper.
> The argument was used to prove that every epimorphism of groups is
> surjective with no mention of regular monomorphisms, but in fact they prove
> that, for every homomorphism
>
> j : H --> G, there exist two homomorphisms
>
> k, l : G --> P with k(g) = L(g) only when g is in j(H).
>
> This also appears as Exercise 5 of Section 5 of Chapter I in Mac Lane's
> "Categories for the Working Mathematician", with very precise hints.

What the origins of the argument Mac Lane outlines here are, I don't know.
I do seem to recall that I first saw more or less such an argument in a
graduate course Sammy gave at Columbia during the "golden era" 1958-1963,
and that Sammy himself, probably at a Bowdoin NSF summer semester on
categories, revealed his deft trick by which to convert the argument for
the "index greater than 2" case to a uniform argument ignoring the
subgroup's index.

Let me record that argument here.

Given are a group G, a subgroup H of G, and an element a in G \ H.

P is to be the group of permutations of the underlying set of the left
G-set got by forming the coproduct

G/H + 1

of the principal left G-set G/H of left cosets xH of H in G (x ∈ G)
with a (trivial) terminal left G-set 1 = {*} (assume * ∉ G/H):

P = perm(|G/H| ∪ {*}) = (|G/H| ∪ {*})! .

One permutation in particular is to be singled out for attention: the
transposition t ∈ P interchanging * with the coset H itself.

Let me use r: G --> P for the result of composing the regular
representation of G by left action (g, xH) |-> (gx)H on the cosets of H
with the obvious injection of (|G/H|)! into (|G/H| ∪ {*})! -- thus:

[r(g)](xH) = (gx)H  ,
[r(g)](*) = * .

And let me write s: G --> P for the result of conjugating by t the various
assorted values of r -- thus:

[s(g)](xH) = t([r(g)](t(xH))) ,
[s(g)](*) = t([r(g)](t(*))) = t([r(g)](H)) = t(gH) .

The end-game strategy is now this:

(i) for h ∈ H: r(h) = s(h) ; yet
(ii) for g = a, [r(a)](*) = * but [s(a)](*) = aH (whence r ≠  s).

Details: Bear in mind that if, for x in G and h in H, we have (hx)H = H,
we must have hx in H, whence also x in H so that xH = H. Then for (i):

(a) if xH ≠ H -- [s(h)](xH) = t([r(h)](xH)) = t((hx)H) = (hx)H = [r(h)](xH)
;
(b) if xH = H -- [s(h)](H) = t([r(h)](*)) = t(*) = H = [r(h)](H) ;
(c) and at * -- [s(h)](*) = t([r(h)](H)) = t(H) = * = [r(h)](*) .

And bear in mind also that aH ≠ H because a ∉ H; thus:

for (ii) -- [s(a)](*) = t([r(a)](H)) = t(aH) = aH ≠ * = [r(a)](*) .

By the way, if the subgroup H had index 3 or more in G, one need not
require recourse to any external element * as above -- one could let any
coset other than H and aH (when there are such) play the role of *, and,
with but a few additional wrinkles (unless I am mistaken (which is always
possible :-) )), I believe that is essentially how the proof George cites
from Mac Lane's exercise works.

Cheers, -- Fred

[NB: I'm writing ∈ for an element symbol, ∉ for a crossed-out
element symbol, ∪ for a union symbol, and ≠ for a crossed-out equal
sign. With luck these HTML glyph constructs will simply display as the
glyphs they're meant to represent; and if not, they're no more painful to
decipher than their TeX counterparts, which HTML can't display as glyphs.]

[parent not found: <485qFyBhu8160S03.1340588060@web03.cms.usa.net>]
* Re: Two_questions
@ 2012-06-25  1:34 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2012-06-25  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Joyal André" ; +Cc: categories

Correction/clarification to previous note: in what follows, the sloppy phrase

> ... the resulting u' is the same as the result of conjugating all the values
of u by the transposition ...

should be replaced by the more accurate expanded version

> ... the h' (as below) resulting from u' is the same as what Sammy gets by
conjugating all the values of the h that arises from u by the transposition

Sorry for the sloppy writing.

Cheers, -- Fred

From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2012-06-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André" ; +Cc: categories

Salut, André,

I'm ashamed how long it took me to come to this realization, but
you were absolutely correct in your surmise that, when one lets ...

> ... E' be the set obtained from E by
> adding copy p' of p. There are two embeddings u,u':E-->E',
> the first u is the inclusion of E in E', and the second u' is defined
> by putting u'(p)=p' and u'(x)=x for x different than p.

... the resulting u' is the same as the result of conjugating all the values
of u by the transposition t that exchanges p with p'. Thus, the ...

> ... pair of homomorphisms h,h':E!-->E'! the equaliser of which
> is the stabiliser S(p) of p in E!.

... that arises is exactly the same as the pair Sammy's argument
would adduce, and the only respect in which ...

> This last argument seems to differ from the argument you have presented.

is that for Sammy it was enough to observe that h and h' differ SOMEWHERE
when E is more than just {p}, while what you observe is rather more, namely,
that h and h' actually differ EVERYWHERE other than on S(p), i.e., that the
ONLY place where h and h' do NOT differ is S(p) :-) .

> Am I making an error?

Only in thinking that seeming difference makes any real difference :-) .

I hope this clarifies matters, and I think it's worth showing categories@mta.

Cheers,  -- Fred

* Two questions
@ 2012-06-21 13:34 Michael Barr
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Barr @ 2012-06-21 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list; +Cc: Bob Raphael

Googling around, I have come on several claims that there are no
non-trivial injectives in the category of groups (e.g., Mac Lane in the
1950 Duality for groups paper credits Baer with an elegant proof, but
gives no hint of what it might be and Baer's earlier paper on injectives
doesn't mention it).  I have not come on any proof of this, however.

Somewhere I have seen a proof that all monics in the category of groups
are regular.  I think it was in a paper by Eilenberg and ??? and it needed
a special argument if there were elements of order 2.  Can someone help me
find this?

Michael

--
The United States has the best congress money can buy.