categories - Category Theory list
From: Johannes Huebschmann <huebschm@math.univ-lille1.fr>
To: Jamie Vicary <jamie.vicary@cs.ox.ac.uk>
Cc: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re:  Categories in developmental psychology!
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:01:33 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

I guess these observations should be interpreted with circumspection,
in the light of Lacan's usage of topological notions
in psychoanalysis, see e.g. Sokal-Bricmont, Impostures
intellectuelles p. 55.

The term category goes back to Aristotle;
the word (kategoria) in inself is older but it seems
Aristotle attributed to it the kind of meaning
we are talking about here.

The term functor derives from the latin verb fungi (deponens).
It seems Eilenberg-Mac Lane learnt the term functor from Carnap.

Best

Johannes