categories - Category Theory list
From: Philip Scott <phil@site.uottawa.ca>
To: Sergey Goncharov <Sergey.Goncharov@cs.fau.de>
Cc: Categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Internal truth objects
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 15:46:14 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Sergey:   this was explored a bit in the early days of categorical
logic. The key topos isomorphism  Sub(A) \iso Hom(A,\Omega) combines two
possible viewpoints (of course, Bill Lawvere was a key figure in both
developments):   the LHS (as you point out) considers categories with
distinguished "logical" structure imposed on the subobject posets (and
quantifiers arising as adjoints): e.g. the work of Makkai-Reyes-Joyal,
et.al  (see, for example,  Makkai-Reyes' book "First-Order Categorical
Logic, SLNM 611, where one sees a discussion focussed on Regular
Categories, Heyting Categories, etc.). On the other hand, the right hand
side is based on looking at appropriate categories with an object \Omega
and distinguished logical structure, giving a "theory of types".  These
categories model (intuitionistic as well as classical versions of)
Russell's type theory. This viewpoint was developed for example in early
work of Hugo Volger (on "semantical categories" of various kinds) and in
Lambek's "Dogmas"  (for the latter, see Lambek's article "From Types to
sets" in Advances in Math [1980]. )

For Lawvere's discussions on these matters, see his two introductions
(to SLNM 445 "Model Theory and Topoi", ed. by Lawvere, Maurer, and
Wraith [1975], where Volger's works appeared, along with other early
workers ) and  Lawvere's introduction to SLNM 274). See also Lawvere's
introduction [2006] to the reprinted version of "Adjointness in
Foundations"  on the TAC webpage).  More early history (from the 1970's)
is discussed in the historical comments at the end of Part II of my 1986
book with Lambek (Introduction to Higher Order Categorical Logic) as
well as several books in topos theory (e.g. Johnstone's books).

Of course Lawvere's early categorical logic papers ("Adjointness in
Foundations", "Equality in Hyperdoctrines", etc.) inspired numerous
other directions in categorical logic leading to other kinds of
structures beyond "Dogma-like"  categories, which you asked about. [For
this, I'll just mention the keywords and let you look up the individuals
involved: indexed categories and fibrational approaches to categorical
logic, categorical models of polymorphism, and (most recently) dependent
(Martin-Lof) type theory and homotopy lambda calculus].

 							Cheers,
 							Philip Scott