categories - Category Theory list
* Re: on a subcategory of algebras for a monad
@ 2013-05-13  8:15 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2013-05-13  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Emily Riehl

Hi, Emily,

Another example of interesting classes of "objects those X in C such
that the unit X -> MX is an isomorphism" (C a pleasant category, M a
(perhaps familiar) monoid on C):

As C, use the category either of vector spaces, or of Banach spaces
(if the latter, use linear maps of bound not exceeding 1); and as M
use the corresponding double-dualization monoid.

Then: among vector spaces, it's the finite-dimensional ones for which
the unit is an isomorphism; among Banach spaces, it's the reflexive ones.

So again, behavior with respect to limits is, in either case, not
(TTBOMK) as you[r grad student] might wish.

Cheers, -- Fred

From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2013-05-11  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Riehl, categories

Hi, Emily,

Have you or your grad student noticed the example got by taking as your
locally presentable category C the category of sets, and as your monad M the
ultrafilter or Stone-Cech monad ß (with the Eilenberg-Moore category of
ß-algebras being the category of compact Hausdorff spaces (and continuous
maps))?

Here, your "objects those X in C such that the unit X -> MX is an isomorphism"
are just the finite sets, and, unless I misunderstand your limits question, I
fear that only finite limits will work as you desire.

Does that help in any way? Cheers, -- Fred

---

@ 2013-05-10 13:05 Emily Riehl