categories - Category Theory list
From: Tom Hirschowitz <tom.hirschowitz@univ-savoie.fr>
To: Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Publicity
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:40:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Marta,

Thanks very much for your detailed answer.

First, I agree with you that it is wrong to equate category theory with
logic and computation. I don't know whose mistake this is, but it
certainly is one.

However, it seems to me that people may be led to category theory, or
more generally any interesting subject matter, for bad reasons --- and
that this is sometimes good. (*)

Category-land, as Jean B?nabou calls it, may look like a fortress from
the outside. So maybe we should be softer towards people trying to make
it look attractive and open.

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Tom

(*) It was John Baez, `making a fool of himself' as usual, who made me
think I could enter the fortress back in 2006. I'll probably never be as
fluent as native category theorists, but I nevertheless think my
research has improved since then.