categories - Category Theory list
From: "Prof. Peter Johnstone" <P.T.Johnstone@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
To: Venkata Rayudu Posina <posinavrayudu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Subobject classifier algorithm
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:52:27 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

Dear Posina,

What you're doing is essentially just using the Yoneda lemma.
If your category is a functor category [C,Set], then Yoneda
tells you that, for each object c of C, \Omega(c) must
correspond bijectively to the set of maps C(c,-) --> \Omega,
and hence to the set of subobjects of C(c,-). So you might as
well *define* it to be the latter set. [Note that I
said `set' rather than `number' as you did, since these sets
may very well be infinite.]

More generally, if your category is a Grothendieck topos E,
then it has a representation as the topos of sheaves on a
site (C,J) whose underlying category C can be taken to be
the full subcategory of E on a generating set of objects.
Then you can similarly conclude that \Omega is (isomorphic to)
the sheaf whose value at a member g of the generating set
is the set of subobjects of g in E. So the answer to your
question `how many objects do we have to check?' is `all the
objects in some generating set'.

Regards,
Peter Johnstone