categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Difference and Duality
@ 2013-11-19  4:50 David Reid
From: David Reid @ 2013-11-19  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi, Posina,
I have downloaded "Conceptual Mathematics" and will look at it and your
question later, but in the meantime, I hope that others will respond more
quickly and directly to your question. However, in case you do not receive
adequate replies on Linked, may I suggest two other forums which may be more
fruitful.
http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/

and sometimes
http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=6f5ea9f0f093fb645c4a319aad65a89c&f=78

Both require registration, but they are free and do not seem to generate spam.

David Reid

* Difference and Duality
@ 2012-07-12 10:33 Venkata Rayudu Posina
From: Venkata Rayudu Posina @ 2012-07-12 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear All,

There is a contrast between a map with a section and a map with a
retract: in the case of a map with a section we can find proof [of
belonging]; and in the case of a map with a retract we find that there
is one proof.

The contrast appears a little more pronounced: in trying to show that
there is one proof f of h in r in the case of a map r with a section
s, the closest I got is srf1 = srf2; and in trying to find proof of 'h
is in s' in the case of a map s with a retract r, the closest I got is
srh.

Is there a duality (knowing answer vs. knowing that there is one
answer) in here?

Please forgive me for rushing to ask for help if this is something
that can become clear as I go through 'The contravariant parts
functor' article (I'm still on the first page of the article in
Conceptual Mathematics).

Thank you,
posina