categories - Category Theory list
* Paper on variable set theory
@ 2013-12-14 21:59 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2013-12-14 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Around 1986, Colin McLarty, Charles Wells, and I noticed that Scientific
American had recently published a few articles on subjects mathematical
and decided to try to write one on variable set theory, AKA topos theory.
Unfortunately, that particular window at Sci Am quickly closed.  Our
article was turned down and we forgot about it.  More recently, I decided
it might be interesting, or at least amusing to throw it open to the
categorical community.  The result can be found at
ftp://ftp.math.mcgill.ca/barr/pdffiles/vst.pdf

Michael

--
         Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not

* Re: Paper on variable set theory
@ 2013-12-18 11:16 ` Ronnie Brown
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2013-12-18 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Camell Kachour, categories

A couple of general articles, somewhat speculative,  are available from
my publication list:
http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~mas010/publicfull.htm

130.(with T. PORTER), `The intuitions of higher dimensional algebra for
the study of structured space', Revue de Synth?se, 124 (2003)  173-203.
` UWB Math. Preprint (pdf file) <pdffiles/paris-cogn9.pdf>.

136. (with T. Porter), `Category theory and higher dimensional algebra:
potential descriptive tools in neuroscience', Proceedings of the
International Conference on Theoretical Neurobiology, Delhi, February
2003, edited by Nandini Singh, National Brain Research Centre,
Conference Proceedings 1 (2003) 80-92. pdf <pdffiles/brown-porter03_05.pdf>

You should also look at the area of concurrency theory. Running many
computers is analogous to many dimensional time.

And do a web search on "higher dimensional algebra" with for example
physics, biology, ...

Ronnie

@ 2013-12-17  1:24 Camell Kachour
From: Camell Kachour @ 2013-12-17  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)