categories - Category Theory list
From: Richard Garner <richard.garner@mq.edu.au>
To: Michal Przybylek <michal.przybylek@gmail.com>
Cc: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re:  Isbell envelope
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 22:33:57 +1000	[thread overview]

Most gratifying! That is just what I was looking for -- thanks!
Richard

On Mon, May 12, 2014, at 10:16 PM, Michal Przybylek wrote:

Dear Richard,

What you call "Isbell envelope'', was called by John Isbell "couple
category". The construction is defined in the following paper:

J. R. Isbell,  "Normal completions of categories"

Best,
Michal

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Richard Garner
<[1]richard.garner@mq.edu.au> wrote:

Dear categorists,

One of the more folklorish constructions in category theory is that of

the Isbell envelope. The folklorishness, in this case, seems to be so

severe that I cannot find mention made of it in any published article
at

all (though there are several to the related notion of Isbell

conjugacy). I am writing, therefore, in the hope that this is only due

to my own poor knowledge of the literature, and that some other reader

of this list may be able to put me to rights.

Richard