categories - Category Theory list
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
To: Richard Garner <richard.garner@mq.edu.au>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Isbell envelope
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 10:10:54 -0700	[thread overview]

Dear Richard,

Two comparison are made between Isbell envelopes and communes in the
second last paper listed in my CV at http://boole.stanford.edu/vita.pdf,

Pratt, V.R. ?Communes via Yoneda, from an Elementary Perspective?,
Fundamenta Informaticae, Vol. 103 Issue 1-4, 203-218, DOI
10.3233/FI-2010-325, IOS Press Amsterdam, 2010.

also at http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/CommunesFundInf2010.pdf

The two comparisons are on p. 214:

"Communes are a generalization of a notion due to Isbell and called by
Lawvere the \defn{Isbell envelope} $E(\C)$ of a category $\C$.  $E(\C)$
is the special case of a category of communes where the base has the
form of a homfunctor $\C\op\times\C\to\Set$, equivalently the identity
profunctor $1_C:\C\nrightarrow\C$.  An object $D$ of the Isbell envelope
can be understood as a commune whose elements are morphisms from objects
of $\C$ to $D$ and whose states are morphisms from $D$ to objects of
$\C$.  Conversely the commune category $\widehat\K$ can be obtained from
$E(\check K)$ as the full subcategory of $E(\K)$ consisting of those
objects having no elements from $\L$ and no states to $\J$."

The acknowledgments section on p.218 gives some background:

"Although Bill Lawvere had pointed me at Isbell's papers in connection
with left and right adequacy at Category Theory 2004 in Vancouver where
I first spoke about communes (during which I was introduced to bimodules
by Robert Seely), I first learned about Lawvere's term ``Isbell
envelope'' $E(\C)$ for that concept much more recently from Ross Street,
which Ross defined for me in terms of left Kan extensions."

My CT2011 talk in Vancouver emphasized examples of communes, which is
still on my list to write up for publication (currently about halfway
down the list).

Vaughan