categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Descent for fibred monads
@ 2014-05-15 21:09 Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2014-05-15 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Actually

> In the same situation, take T to be the monad for free vector spaces E
> ---pi_0---> S ---Fv---> S ---Delta---> E induced by the free vector
> space monad Fv on S. Then T-algebra descent data over U --->> 1 is a
> vector bundle split by U; so such objects are equally algebras for the
> monad (A--->U) |----> (Delta Fv pi_0 A) x U ---> U

This bit is clear rubbish. But the rest of my question remains.

Richard

* Descent for fibred monads
@ 2014-05-15 11:15 Richard Garner
       [not found] ` <EECDFD9C67BD4322BE299A6BD31D1918@ACERi3>
From: Richard Garner @ 2014-05-15 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Dear categorists,

Does the following variant of the Benabou-Roubaud/Beck monadic descent
theorem appear anywhere?

Let p:E--->B be a fibration with sums and let T:E--->E be a fibred monad
over B. Let q: E^T ----> B be the induced fibration of T-algebras. Let
f: x--->y in B. Then to give T-algebra descent data for f---that is, a
diagram over the kernel-pair of f valued in E^T---is equally to give an
algebra for the composite monad

E_x ----f_!----> E_y ----T_y---> E_y ---f^*----> E_x

This doesn't seem to be an application of the usual monadic descent
theorem to q: E^T ---> B; that would identify T-algebra descent data for
f with algebras for a monad on (E^T)_x, not on E_x.

For example, take E ----> S a connected topos with pi_0 -| Delta -|
Gamma. Let T be the monad for constant objects on E induced by the
fibred adjunction pi_0 -| Delta. Given f: U --->> 1 in E, to give
T-algebra descent data for f is to give a locally constant object split
by U. So such objects are equally the algebras for the monad

(A--->U) |----> (Delta pi_0 A) x U ----> U