categories - Category Theory list
From: "Peter Witbooi" <pwitbooi@uwc.ac.za>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: K.A. Hardie
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 10:19:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Colleagues

It is with deep sadness that I inform you of the passing away of Keith A. Hardie yesterday, 19 May 2014,
at his home in Muizenberg, Cape Town. Keith has, among other things, made great contributions
on homotopy in categories of pairs of topological spaces. The last of his 5 PhD students, I completed
just as Keith was retiring from the university. This put me in the privileged default position for continued
collaborative work. I treasure the relationship I had with him as my teacher, coworker and friend.
Just the same he will be sorely missed by his collaborators, colleagues, close friends and many others.
My condolences are with the bereaved family.

Peter Witbooi

Prof PJ Witbooi
Dept. Math & Applied Math
University of the Western Cape