categories - Category Theory list
* Intro to higher order categorical logic question
@ 2014-06-19  7:12 Vasili I. Galchin
From: Vasili I. Galchin @ 2014-06-19  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

      In the "Introduction to Part II" paragraph one , two type
theories are mentioned. The last sentence of this paragraph states
"These two versions are shown to be equivalent, although the
second(equality .. my words) is useful for describing the internal
language of a topos". Question: In what sense are these two type
theory equivalent? In some technical sense?

Kind regards,

Vasya

* Re: Intro to higher order categorical logic question
@ 2014-06-27  9:37 ` Robin Adams
From: Robin Adams @ 2014-06-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Vasya,

The equivalence is given in Propositions 2.1 and 2.2 and Theorem 2.4.
We can introduce the logical connectives as primitives and then define
equality; or we can introduce equality as a primitive and define the
logical connectives in terms of =.  Either way gives the same set of
derivable judgements.

--
Robin Adams