categories - Category Theory list
From: Ross Street <ross.street@mq.edu.au>
To: wlawvere <wlawvere@buffalo.edu>
Cc: Categories <categories@mta.ca>,
Subject: Re: Stephen H. Schanuel
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:41:25 +1000	[thread overview]

Dear Bill

This is very sad news.

You, your family, and Steve’s family have our sincere condolences.

Steve Schanuel was a gifted mathematician who could focus fully on a problem
under discussion and, as you say, generously offer his deep understanding.
We were fortunate to have Steve twice visit Macquarie, where he was
greatly appreciated, not only by the category theorists, but by the
number theorists, and my family. I have very warm memories of
driving back from an outing in the Blue Mountains where he had all
of us (Margery and our boys) heartily singing songs in rounds.

Another time, I was driving the gang back to Macquarie
after the Seminar had been at Sydney University. We were stuck in horrible
traffic in pouring rain waiting to cross the Harbour Bridge. I was expressing
frustration, to put it mildly. Steve said something like: ``Ross, here we are,
among friends, in comfortable chairs, discussing mathematics. Relax!’'
Thinking of that still helps reduce my road rage.

A meeting with Steve always left you feeling much happier,
and certainly more informed. But now I feel a huge loss.

Ross