categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>
To: wlawvere <wlawvere@buffalo.edu>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Stephen H. Schanuel
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:04:46 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

I was very sorry to hear this.  I always liked Steve a lot.  When I came
to Columbia as a newly minted instructor, I was assigned to a large office
with one other new PhD and four graduate students, one of whom was Steve.
I theoretically specialized (in those days) in homological algebra.
Nonetheless I learned more about homological algebra than I had before
just from talking to Steve.  For one thing, I had never heard of
Schanuel's lemma nor how it could be used to prove the invariance of
homological dimension.  He also showed me how to compute the Catalan
numbers (the nth Catalan number is the number of ways of associating a
product of n terms).  I was one of the first to hear what is now known as
Schanuel's conjecture, which is an important area of study in number
theory.

Rest in Peace, Steve.

Michael