categories - Category Theory list
From: "Jean Bénabou" <jean.benabou@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Eduardo J. Dubuc" <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>
Cc: Thomas Streicher <streicher@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>,
	Categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: cleavages and choice
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 19:52:53 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Eduardo,

Of course I fully agree with what you said. Let me just add a few remarks.

When Grothendieck defined fibrations it was for precise purposes, namely to axiomatize the notion of inverse image, and to use this axiomatization for descent (the titles of his talks are quite clear about that)

My view about fibrations is to try to get rid of sets, as much as possible, in category theory. This is what I tried to explain in my paper at the JSL.
Thus if some fibrations arising from set theory come equipped with more or less artificial cleavages, it does not impress me at all.

The same process of elimination of sets, makes very sensitive, for fibrations but also for other domains, to the possibility of internalization.

Let me give an example of a totally different nature. In the paper where I introduced bicategories, their definition is in section 1.1 and takes 3 pages. But immediately after, it took me 10 pages to show in detail that they could be internalized, in any category with pullbacks. Let me point out that this paper was written in 1966 and published in 1967.

I think of course that ZFC has been a huge progress in the history of mathematics, but category theory has given us the possibility to explore new and fascinating countries. This goes for many domains of mathematics, and in particular.... for fibered categories.

Best to all,
Jean