categories - Category Theory list
From: Paul Levy <P.B.Levy@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: cleavages and choice
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 16:17:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Related to Marco's point:

In order to define the category Set, we have to define Set(X,Y) for
all sets X and Y.  There are many isomorphic options, but to get a
category we have  to choose one.

Now replace "category" by "category with distinguished binary products
and exponentials.".  We shall then have to choose a particular
implementation of X x Y and X -> Y.  Why do some people find this
philosophically objectionable?  How is it worse than choosing
Set(X,Y)?  (Personally, I'd be inclined to make the same choice for X -
  > Y as for Hom(X,Y).)

Paul

--
Paul Blain Levy
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham