categories - Category Theory list
From: "George Janelidze" <janelg@telkomsa.net>
To: "Categories" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Present and future
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 17:44:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Jean,

I don't want us to live on different planets - so, I am making one more
attempt:

My feeling is that you interpret everything I say as "some kinds of
mathematical objects are better than fibrations" ("some kinds" could be
indexed categories, or pseudo-fibrations, or, say, semi-left exact
reflections). And then you give convincing examples where the language of
fibrations works better, and then you say that you could not convince me.
But:

I NEVER said that any of those concepts is better! All I was trying to say
(more than once) is that all of them, including fibrations, are very
important. Moreover, the relationship between them - which is not exactly an
equivalence - is a very serious mathematical result/discovery/idea, which,
as well as as some other ideas of category theory, helps us to see better
the whole planet of mathematics (on which all recipients of this message
live, I suppose).

By the way, a very 'small part' of the relationship between fibrations and
indexed categories, namely the equivalence between discrete fibrations over
a category C (with small fibres) and functors C^op-->Sets, is already a
fundamental result, is not it? Well, working with discrete fibrations
eliminates sets to a larger extend: e.g. we don't need to think of small
fibres, and we can internalize them (I mean, define discrete fibrations over
an internal category). But does it mean that we should forget about
Set-valued functors?

I know everything I said is trivial for you, but, forgive me, you forced me.

Best regards to all,
George