categories - Category Theory list
From: Clemens.BERGER@unice.fr
To: Ross Street <ross.street@mq.edu.au>
Cc: Timothy Revell <timothy.revell@strath.ac.uk>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Is the category of group actions LCCC?
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 18:00:21 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Timothy, hi Ross,

    this message to highlight the importance of the construction of the
category of group actions (Grp,C) over an arbirary base category C
(while Timothy is just considering the case C=Sets). Indeed, the
category of group actions (Grp,C) has as objects triples (G,X,\phi)
consisting of a group G, an object X of C, and a monoid morphism
G->C(X,X), and as maps (g,f):(G,X)->(H,Y) pairs consisting of a group
morphism g:G->H and an arrow f:X->Y in C such that an obvious pentagonal
diagram in Sets commutes. Composition in this category is defined by
gluing together two pentagons along a commutative square.

    This construction seems to have quite interesting preservation
properties (alas not inclucing cartesian nor local cartesian
closedness). These properties may have their use in the theory of
semi-abelian categories.

    Just a few samples:

The category (Grp,Grp) of group actions in groups is equivalent to
Bourn's category of split epimorphisms in Grp, also known as the
category of points in Grp. The latter is known to inherit several
important properties of the category Grp, such as protomodularity,
regularity and exactness. In general, if C is regular (exact) then
(Grp,C) as well.

In the theory of cocommutative Hopf algebras over a field k, a structure
thm of Gabriel-Cartier may be interpreted as saying that over an
algebraically closed field of characteristic 0, the category
CocommHopf_k is equivalent to (Grp,Lie_k), where Lie_k is the category
of Lie k-algebras. Since the latter is exact, this shows that
CocommHopf_k is exact as well. An adjunction argument implies then that
CocommHopf_k is exact for any field of characteristic 0. This is the
most difficult step in showing that CocommHopf_k is actually
semi-abelian for any field of characterstic zero.

    All the best,
                 Clemens.

Le 2014-09-04 02:19, Ross Street a ??crit??: