categories - Category Theory list
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Open problems
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 10:12:58 -0800	[thread overview]

On 12/12/2014 1:56 PM, Harley Eades III wrote:
> Dee Roytenberg?s email pushed me to write an email I have been wanting to write
> for a bit.
>
> One thing I have been trying to do recently is figure out what the major (and minor)
> open problems are with respect to applications of category theory to CS.   I am very
> new to this area, and getting an idea of what folks are working on, and what problems
> people feel are important will help young researchers learns where to concentrate
> their efforts.

At http://thue.stanford.edu/puzzle.html can be seen a problem about Chu
spaces that's been open for close to two decades, and that's been
translated during the past three years into Belorussian, Ukrainian,
Polish, Slovenian, Czech, French, and Bulgarian by volunteers who
apparently found the problem sufficiently interesting to be worth the
effort, perhaps motivated by its connection to crossword puzzles.

The problem is whether every T1 comonoid in Chu(Set,2) is discrete.

This is so for two special cases.

1. Countable comonoids, taking cardinality of a Chu space to be that of
its points.

2. Representable comonoids (of any cardinality), in the sense of
representation by directed CPOs as per the hierarchy of full embeddings
on page 6 of the paper "Comonoids in chu: a large cartesian closed
sibling of topological spaces" at
http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/comonoids.pdf .  T1 DCPOs are of course
discrete simply because T1 posets are discrete and the structure of any
DCPO is determined by its order via the Scott topology (as distinct from
the Alexandroff topology, though they coincide in the T1 case).

The problem remains open for uncountable comonoids not representable as
DCPOs.

The provenance of Chu spaces is arguably category-theoretic, the
enriched case Chu(V,k) having been invented by Mike Barr and first
studied in detail in the late 1970s by his masters student Po-Hsiang
(Peter) Chu.   As a computer scientist my own application for the
ordinary or set-enriched case Chu(Set,K) has been to concurrency theory,
starting around 1991 shortly after Lafont and Streicher proposed that
case (under the rubric of "games") as a very nice model of Girard's
linear logic.

In the latter application the image of Girard's exponential construct !A
is naturally modeled as the cartesian closed full subcategory of that of
Chu spaces consisting of comonoids.  In any symmetric monoidal category
with tensor product A@B and unit I, a comonoid is a structure with a
comultiplication
d: A --> A@A
and a counit
e: A --> I.
A comonoid homomorphism is any morphism preserving that structure.

In Set, taking tensor @ to be cartesian product x and I to be 1 makes
every set a comonoid by taking d to be the diagonal and e the unique map
to 1, and those are the only comonoids in Set.  Every function is
thereby a comonoid homomorphism.

The standard tensor @ of Chu(V,k) is given by

A@B ~ (A --o B')' ~ (B --o A')'           (1)

where A' is the dual or transpose of A and --o is the external hom of
Chu(V,k) internalized by suitably "chupologizing" it.  The unit is that
of V likewise chupologized.

For Chu(Set,K), a Chu space A = (A,X) can be understood as a space A
whose points are positions for letters, and (the points of) its dual A'
as a set (so these are actually *extensional* Chu spaces) X of words of
length A over the alphabet K, with each word formed by filling each
position with a letter from K, i.e. functions A --> K, making X a subset
of K^A.  Duality then requires that A' also be extensional ("little Chu"
or chu(Set,K) in Barr's terminology).

  From that perspective (A@B)' can be visualized as the space of all AxB
crosswords that can be formed by taking the across words from B' (given
by a map from A to B') and the down words from A' (given by a map from B
to A'), as per the two isomorphisms in (1) above, the second of which
amounts to an adjointness condition on the two maps.

The comonoids in Chu(Set,K) are those Chu spaces A for which every
crossword in (A@A)' has for its main diagonal a word in A', and such
that A' includes all one-letter (constant) words aaa...aa, bbb...bb, ....

The T1 comonoids can be defined as those comonoids A such that every
word of length A begun by writing down two of its letters (at any two
positions) can be completed to a word in A'.  For any alphabet K, the
unit makes this automatic when the two letters are the same, so for the
alphabet {0,1} T1 reduces to: at any two given positions both
...0...1... and ...1...0... can be completed to a word.  With the
interpretation of words over {0,1} as open sets this is recognizable as
one definition of a T1 topological space (the other topological
definition of T1, every singleton closed, does not give the chupological
definition.)

So, is every T1 comonoid in Chu(Set,2) discrete?

Vaughan Pratt