categories - Category Theory list
From: "Eduardo J. Dubuc" <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>
To: Jiri Adamek <adamek@iti.cs.tu-bs.de>,
	Uwe Egbert Wolter <Uwe.Wolter@ii.uib.no>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Category without objects
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:14:37 -0300	[thread overview]

Much older, 69-70 years old !

In the original paper:

S. Eilenberg y S. Mac Lane, General Theory of Natural Equivalences,
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 58 (1945), 231?294.

They already considered the notion of category without objects, but
choose to use objects. They wrote:

"It is thus clear that the objects play a secondary role, and could be
entirely omitted from the definition of a category. However, the
manipulation of the applications would be slightly less convenient were
this done. [p?g. 238]

On spite of this, Ehresmann was a fan of categories without objects:

Erhesman adopted and pushed forward the notion of categories without
objects, writing many papers and a book where categories did not have
objects.

C. Ehresmann, Cat?gories topologiques et cat?gories diff?rentiables,
Colloque G?om. Diff. Globale (Bruxelles, 1958), Centre Belgue Rech.
Math., Louvain, 1959, 137?150.

Eduardo Dubuc