categories - Category Theory list
From: Giorgio Mossa <mossa@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
To: David Yetter <dyetter@ksu.edu>
Cc: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Partial functors ..
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 20:08:18 +0100	[thread overview]

It seems to me that this way of modelling partial functors via functors
doesn't work too.

Consider the following example:
let C be a category with two objects, let's call them x0 and x1
and suppose that

* C[x0,x1] = C[x1,x0] are singletons whose elements we will call i and j respectively
that are one inverse to each other
* C[x0,x0] = C[x1,x1] = N the monoid of natural numbers

S is the full subcategory of C containing just the object x0, i.e. is the monoid
of natural number N seen as a category.

There's an obvious functor P : S -> N, which is an isomorphism, by definition.
This gives us a *non trivial* partial functor, nonetheless
if we take by N~ to be the category obtained by adding freely a zero object to N
a functor P' : C -> N~ that sends the object x1 in the zero object of N~
should send also x0 in the zero object because x0 and x1 are isomorphic in C and
functors preserve isomorphisms. Since N~ is obtained by adding freely a zero
object this implies that P' should be a constant functor and it could be the only
functor sending the objects of C not in S in the zero object.

This example seems to show that the adding a zero object may not be a solution to the problem.

If I correctly understood Robin Cockett's construction below it seems something like this

The category of partial functor from C to D should be a subcategory of the comma-category
(Cat,D) where:

* objects are functors P : S -> D, where S is a subcategory of C
* morphisms from an object P : S -> D to an object P' : S' -> D are
pairs (I,a) where I : S -> S' is an embedding of (sub)categories and
a : P -> P'?I is a natural transformation between these two functors in Cat[S,D].

Composition between functors (in order to get a 2-category) should be defined in the obvious way.

Giorgio