categories - Category Theory list
From: David Roberts <david.roberts@adelaide.edu.au>
To: "Linton, Fred" <flinton@wesleyan.edu>
Cc: "categories@mta.ca" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Math ML in recent headlines
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:16:24 +0930	[thread overview]

It should be said that authors should never need to write MathML.
There is software that takes (La)TeX or certain fragments thereof
dealing with mathematical typesetting, and outputs MathML. The
benefits are especially noticeable for people who use screen-readers
(e.g. the vision-impaired) or for data-mining of mathematics papers
for the purposes of analysis (I envisage an analysis of all diagrams
that have ever appeared in category theory papers, and a library of
the same, organised by topology/underlying graph/etc). In my dream
future, TAC will serve papers rendered in HTML5/XML/MathML, as well as
pdf and/or its successors.

So unless you are writing such software, in the words of the HHGTTG:
Don't Panic.

Cheers,

David