categories - Category Theory list
From: Graham White <graham.white@qmul.ac.uk>
To: Ralph Matthes <matthes@irit.fr>, <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Current Issues in the Philosophy of Practice of Mathematics & Informatics
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:57:44 -0400	[thread overview]

And (continuing "why on the categories mailing list?") it seems
to some people (such as me) that what category theory actually is, is
a formal description of the practice of mathematics, rather than a
foundation for mathematics. It may do the latter as well (though I don't
really believe so), but an account of the practice of mathematics
would be far more philosophically interesting than a foundation. It
would, for example, allow a dialogue between the philosophy of
mathematics and the rest of philosophy, which has, for 30 or 40 years
now, been much less foundational than it used to be. And it may even
make category theory an important tool in philosophy generally.

Graham

--
Graham White
Electronic Engineering and Computer Science