categories - Category Theory list
From: Marco Grandis <grandis@dima.unige.it>
To: John Baez <baez@math.ucr.edu>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: The PROP for commutative monoids
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 14:34:56 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear John,
This result is also proved in my paper below, published in 2001.

M. Grandis, Finite sets and symmetric simplicial sets, Theory Appl. Categ. 8 (2001), No. 8, 244-252.
Abstract. The category of finite cardinals (or equivalently, of finite sets) is the symmetric analogue of the category of finite ordinals, and the ground category of a relevant category of presheaves, the augmented symmetric simplicial sets. We prove here that this ground category has characterisations similar to the classical ones for the category of finite ordinals, by the existence of a universal symmetric monoid, or by generators and relations. The latter provides a definition of symmetric simplicial sets by faces, degeneracies and transpositions, under suitable relations.

Best wishes,  Marco