categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com>
Cc: "categories@mta.ca" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re:  Grothendieck toposes
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:27:57 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Marta,

Thanks for your reply. My question was a survey of usage, so what follows is=
  not meant disputatiously, but I thought your reasoning raised some interest=
ing issues.

As I see it you give two reasons here for taking Grothendieck toposes as bei=
ng over Set =3D ZFC, both pertinent: (1) what Grothendieck meant, and (2) th=
e (essential) uniqueness of geometric morphisms to Set.

(1) is delicate, given Grothendieck's underlying implicit definition of topo=
s as "that of which topology is the study".

My understanding of this (you may know more - my knowledge of Grothendieck's=
  work is almost all second-hand) is that there are two ways of viewing it, s=
omewhat akin (respectively) to algebraic and general topology.

The first is that he meant a topos to be a category with which to do sheaf c=
ohomology, by forming an (exact) injective resolution of Abelian groups, tak=
ing global sections (becoming non-exact), and then extracting the ker/im coh=
omology groups. This is perhaps an algebraic topologist's idea of what topol=
ogy means. Classicality of Set seems then to be needed in order to get injec=
tive hulls in the category of sheaves over a site.=20

On the other hand, there is also the idea that global points can be recovere=
d as sections of the geometric morphism to Set, and the topos simultaneously=
  embodies both the points and the topology on them. Is this also part of wha=
t Grothendieck meant? It is closer to general topology, points and their con=
tinuous transformations.

This idea then generalizes well to elementary toposes, replacing Set by S. E=
lementary toposes are not generalized spaces in themselves, but bounded geom=
etric morphisms between them are, and many topological properties are redefi=
ned for geometric morphisms.

(2) raises the question of why Set should have its privileged property. Tech=
nically, it is that every object of Set is a colimit of copies of 1, and tha=
t is preserved up to unique isomorphism by the inverse image part of any geo=
metric morphism. But is that not because ZFC provides a 2-level structure of=
  sets and classes, and we are implicitly using ZFC classes for our toposes? A=
s we explore the foundational options then we should expect this uniqueness p=
roperty for Set =3D ZFC to evaporate.

All the best,

Steve.

> On 30 Oct 2016, at 20:17, Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Dear Steve,
>=20
> When an elementary (base) topos S is specified, I use "S-bounded topos" to=
  mean the pair (E, e), with E an elementary topos and e: E--> S a (bounded) g=
eometric morphism. When S =3D Set (a model of ZFC) and E an arbitrary elemen=
tary topos, then there is a most one geometric morphism e:E---> Set, so in t=
hat case the latter need not be specified. I therefore use "E is a Grothendi=
eck topos" to mean  "E is an elementary topos bounded over Sets".  The latte=
r has been shown to be equivalent to what Grothendieck meant by it. =20