categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: wlawvere =0A= <wlawvere@buffalo.edu>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Re: Grothendieck toposes
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:34:32 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Bill,

I'd really like to understand these issues about gros and petit toposes better.

My own current direction with arithmetic universes is - I believe - a reasonable one to try in respect to geometric theories and classifying toposes, but it loses sight of gros toposes and synthetic approaches, which, after all,  were part of the founding ideas of toposes. I need to know better what it is that I risk losing.

However, my attempts to understand gros toposes run into difficulties with geometricity. This is illustrated by the Zariski topos for algebras over a field k. If k is R or C then the geometric methodology expects it and its algebras to be locales (and non-discrete), not sets. But does the polynomial ring R[x] exist localically? The degree of a polynomial looks like being part of the geometric structure, and removing leading zeros (e.g. after a subtraction) is not continuous.

Do you know if anyone has investigated a localic form of these methods in algebraic geometry?

All the best,

Steve.

p.s. I like to think I'm following Grothendieck's insights, but the truth is  I understand only a tiny fraction of them.