categories - Category Theory list
* Predicativity in Categories
@ 2016-11-27 18:53 Sergey Goncharov
From: Sergey Goncharov @ 2016-11-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Community,

I am recently racking my brains in trying to understand what
(im-)predicativity means from a categorical perspective, but failing
short, hence calling for you help.

Certain constructive principle are easy to accommodate (and understand!)
within category theory, e.g. the axiom of choice (all epis are split),
excluded middle (every mono is a coproduct summand), however this does
not seem to be the case with the notion of predicativity.

The rough intuition says that impredicative definitions attempt to
define things topdown: first by introducing a class, and then defining
elements of this class by their characteristic properties -- arguably, a
controversial idea, if you strive for foundations.

That intuition is sort of helpful to deal with extreme cases, e.g. to
accept that toposes are impredicative, and Martin-L??f type theory is
predicative, but it does not seem to give a complete answer.

The discussion and the papers I found on the web rather seem to reflect
the set-theoretic tradition in categorical terms, than to explain the
issue intrinsically.

Let me clarify.

We agree that toposes are impredicative (or, at least not compatible
with predicative approach) because they include subobject classifiers,
and those arguably classify to much, for according to Bishop, we have no
idea a priory, what an arbitrary subset of given set is like.

On the other hand, classifying *something* can be OK, e.g. in extensive
categories we can classify summands: 2 = 1 + 1 is a summand classifier,
and extensive categories are certainly not considered to be
impredicative, for every pretopos is extensive.

Now, there is a spectrum of classes of monomorphisms that could be
classified, depending on a category. I could e.g. try to classify
r.e-subsets in an effective topos. How can I know, if it is still OK or
not OK from a predicative perspective? (I realize that if we reject
impredicativity in foundations, we probably just can not construct any
example of a topos, including the effective one, but suppose, I still
can make sense of this idea of classifying r.e.-subsets somehow without
constructing a topos).

Sorry, if that all sounded jumbled, but maybe you can understand my
concerns.

I presume that a complete answer just does not exist, and would be a
subject to an open research, but I would be happy to understand at least
informally what sort of justification is used to claim that one category
is predicative (or predicative-friendly) and another one is not.

Looking forward to your answers.

Sergey