categories - Category Theory list
From: Sergey Goncharov <sergey.goncharov@fau.de>
To: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Predicativity in Categories
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 17:05:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Steve,

thank you for your answer! Indeed, I was seeking for feedback in this
style.

Like you said, with the restrictions you adopt you are on a safe side,
but those exclude function spaces, which are allowed in Martin-L?f TT,
and the latter is commonly called predicative. I realize though that you
have additional motivation for geometric logic (as a logic of observable
properties, at least this is my current intuition, which I also picked
up from your book) and that happens to be predicative.

The reason I believe that one can potentially make sense of
predicativity in categories is because I learned recently from the paper
"Modular correspondence between dependent type theories and categories
including pretopoi and topoi" by Maria Maietti that various classes of
categories are uniformly described by their internal language written is
the style of extensional dependent type theory. By incrementally
extending the language one obtains narrower and narrower classes of
categories ending up at toposes. Hence, I thought that there might be a
way to formally classify such extensions as predicative or impredicative.

Best regards,
Sergey