categories - Category Theory list
From: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: Ross Street <ross.street@mq.edu.au>, Aleks Kissinger <aleks0@gmail.com>
Cc: "categories@mta.ca" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: History of string diagrams
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 16:45:02 +0000	[thread overview]

Some more comments.

I always imagined that Penrose was inspired by Feynman's diagrams,
but Max's story is casting doubts on this idea; Penrose
may have been chiefly concerned with the syntax of tensor calculus.

Let me point out that Eduardo Dubuc invented an "elevator calculus" in
the early 70's which is a form of the string diagram notation.
It was never published.

Best regards,
André