categories - Category Theory list
From: Eduardo Julio Dubuc <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>
To: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
Cc: "categories@mta.ca" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Re: History of string diagrams
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 16:03:24 -0300	[thread overview]

Thank you Andre for pointing out to my elevator calculus, that I
actually invented in 1968 - 1969 while working in my Thesis (published
as SLN 145).

The same thing happened with elevators that with string diagrams,
when I suggested to Mac Lane to write the thesis with the elevators he
said to me that elevators were fine for private calculations, but not
for publishing. He gave me two reasons: One was that notations were
important things, and to introduce a new notation you should be an
established mathematician. The second, more important, that he
considered unquestionable, was that printers will not accept manuscripts
with elevators.

I continuously used elevator calculus instead of diagrams in order to
find proofs of equations in tensor categories. Or instead of pasting
diagrams when calculating in 2-categories (1-arrows in the role of
objects, composition in the role of tensor, and 2-cells in the role of
arrows). But translate to diagrams or pasting diagrams for publishing.

With augmented experience with LateX, I and my students started to
publish with elevators. For those that may be curious or interested,
here are three links where elevators are explained and used:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1406.5762v1

https://arxiv.org/abs/1110.6411v2

https://arxiv.org/abs/1110.5293

Best regards, Eduardo.