categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: droberts.65537@gmail.com
Cc: "categories@mta.ca list" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Re: Algebraic closures and arithmetic universes
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:24:40 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear David,

I'm sure there's scope for optimizing the AU axioms. In my "Sketches for
AUs" I replaced the original list-arithmetic pretopos with a slightly
different formulation that exploits the fact that, in the presence of
list objects, the pretopos has all finite colimits. (This is essentially
because one can form transitive closures of relations and hence get
arbitrary coequalizers.)

However, note that to use finitary W-types as internal structure (the
way I described) you have to express "finitary" internally somehow; and
to use them, or some of them, as external structure, with externally
given A_i etc, you may need infinitely many operations to present the
theory of AUs.

My own feeling when I wrote "Sketches for AUs" was that the ugliest bits
of the presentation were the exactness and stability conditions needed
for a pretopos. (Look at the rules for exactness and stability in
definition 15, for equivalence extensions.) I wondered whether they
could be simplified in the presence of the list objects.

All the best,

Steve.