categories - Category Theory list
From: Patrik Eklund <peklund@cs.umu.se>
To: Mike Stay <metaweta@gmail.com>
Cc: Categories <categories@mta.ca>, scott@cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: An elementary question
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 07:50:49 +0300	[thread overview]

Right.

So a bit like the carriage return at the of a line in written text. This
would be an application for the structure of the whole text.

Maybe so, but if that text (maybe shown on a monitor) is about drug
treatment of hypertension, we have a poset of events leading to blood
vessels being too stiff because angiotensin receptors are too many.
Receptor blockers is one treatment. Another is diuretics affecting
unfavourable water retention, which makes the blood volume unnecesary
large. Such water retention disturbance is also the result of a poset of
events leading to that disturbance.

Now, and unfortunately, medical mathematics does not embrace these
things, and in fact, when medication with both angiotensin receptor
blockers and diuretics, it is not known with which to start and wait
before starting with the other. Decades ago it was all about diuretics,
but now it's different. Why? Certainly not because of a better
understanding of the intertwining of those posets.

So in that text, readable on the monitor, there are indeed partial
orders, and if you, Mike, want to focus on the carriage return, fine.

Patrik

PS We've written a paper on the order of interventions, based on using
modules, non-commutativity and over monoidal closed categories. If
anybody is interested in a copy, just let me know.