categories - Category Theory list
From: Paul Blain Levy <P.B.Levy@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>,
	"Categories list\" <Categories list>" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: modules over a group
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:35:10 +0100	[thread overview]

Funny you should ask that; I was wondering about a similar question.

Suppose T is a monad on a category V.

Suppose that V has a monoidal structure *.

A right strength for T is a natural transformation TX * Y --> T(X * Y)
satisfying 4 equations.

A left strength for T is a natural transformation X * TY --> T(X * Y)
satisfying 4 equations.

A bistrength for T consists of a right strength and left strength such
that the two maps X * TY * Z --> T(X * Y * Z) are equal.

A bistrength is commutative if the two maps TX * TY --> T(X * Y) are
equal.

[Kock proved that Monad with commutative bistrength = Monoidal monad.  I
recently learnt this from Paul Taylor.]

If * has a symmetry sigma, then any right strength  t gives rise to a
left strength t-sigma, and (t, t-sigma) forms a bistrength.

But is it possible that T has another left strength s such that (t,s) is
a bistrength?

What if we assume the symmetric monoidal structure to be cartesian?

What if we assume that both (t,t-sigma) and (t,s) are commutative?

Paul