categories - Category Theory list
From: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: John Baez <baez@math.ucr.edu>, categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Fred
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 16:19:13 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear John,  and category theorists,

The fact that every category has an opposite introduces
a symmetry in mathematics that would not be there otherwise.
The category of sets is not self dual, but a disjoint union of sets
is a coproduct, dual to a product.

Thurston does not show esteem for logic.
Most mathematicians are taking logic for granted; they just use it
as a part of their natural language.
It is obvious that human understanding depends on the
the laws of thought, on logic.
In a sense, category theory is a branch of mathematical logic,
since it greatly improves mathematical thinking in general.
A category theorist might say (not too loudly) that mathematical logic
is a branch of category theory.

Best,
andré