categories - Category Theory list
From: Alexander Kurz <axhkrz@gmail.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: the dual category
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 15:53:21 +0100	[thread overview]

I would like to add another example to Eduardo’s.

In computer science both algebras and coalgebras for an endofunctor on sets are useful structures and both initial algebras and final coalgebras play an important role in the semantics of programming languages.

It is now an important feature that algebras and coalgebras over set are not dual to each other. Only the invention of the dual category reveals the underlying duality.

The ensuing tension between `abstract’ duality and `concrete’ non-duality is certainly one reason why the study of set-coalgebras is fascinating.

For example, whereas it is well-known that the initial sequence of a finitary set-endofunctor converges in omega steps, a result by Worrell shows that the final sequence of a finitary set-endofunctor converges in omega+omega steps.

Best wishes, Alexander