categories - Category Theory list
* Condolences
@ 2017-10-06 16:49 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2017-10-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bergeron anne; +Cc: Categories list" <Categories list>

Dear Anne:

My sincere condolences on Myles's death.  Myles was one of the first
people I met when I arrived at Columbia in the fall of 1962.  Others were
George Rinehart, Jon Beck, Fred Linton, Steve Schanuel, all now gone.
But I really got to know him in Zurich in 1967.  I was, and still am,
impressed by his mathematical accomplishments.

Myles had a hard life.  First his fall from a cliff, then losing one child
(already unimaginable), then the second one, then his recent illness.
But he bore it all with stoicism and grace.  A real loss.

Michael

* Condolences
@ 2017-10-09  8:53 Mojgan Mahmoudi
From: Mojgan Mahmoudi @ 2017-10-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

Our sincere condolences to the math community for losing the great and
kind mathematician Myles Tierney.

On behalf of CGASA (www.cgasa.ir)

Mojgan (Mahmoudi) and Mehdi (Ebrahimi)

* Condolences
@ 2022-11-03  9:08 M. Mahdi Ebrahimi
From: M. Mahdi Ebrahimi @ 2022-11-03  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Very Dears,
I just heard the sad news that Professor Bernhard Banaschewski passed away on November 1st.
BB was my teacher and supervisor at McMaster University, 76 to 80. I spent a couple of times for my Sabbatical leave with him.
I supervised many Master and PHD students in Iran including my first PHD student, Mojgan Mahmoudi, who also spent some months with BB at McMaster University. Mojgan and I taught our students what we learned from BB. We also invited him to Iran once and had a very good time with him.
Now you can imagine how SAD we all are to hear that BB left us.
Our condolences to all of you
Very Kind Regards
Mehdi
-----

Ebrahimi, M. Mehdi, Professor of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics,
Shahid Beheshti University
Evin, Tehran 19839,
IRAN