categories - Category Theory list
From: Marta Bunge <bunge@math.mcgill.ca>
To: categories@mta.ca
Cc: joyal andre <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>,
	bergeron anne <bergeron.anne@uqam.ca>,
Subject: Re:  Myles Tierney
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:19:47 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Dear Anne,

I join you in your grief to have lost one of the most prominent members of our group and someone whom I have known since the early days when I presented my thesis at an Oberwolfach meeting in 1966 then meeting the entire Sammy-gang. My condolences extend to Hanne and their grandchildren. I knew from  her how brave Myles has been in face of his devastating illness. He has my  profound admiration as do you. He will never be forgotten. Only today I was communicating to others my very old paper on topos theory and the independence of Souslin hypothesis which was greatly influenced by Myles having dealt beautifully with the topos proof for the independence of of CH after Paul Cohen, just as mine was influenced by one by Stanley Tennembaum. This was not the only influence that Myles has had on me. His forcing topologies led to my construction of the symmetric topos of  the Lawvere distributions classifier and of course much much more. I will miss him. This is a very bad year for us category theorists.

Best wishes
Marta