categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: John Baez <baez@math.ucr.edu>
Cc: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re:  Topos theory for spaces of connected components
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 16:12:17 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear John,

For point-set results like this it can be a bit delicate working out how
the point-free topos treatment goes.

Moerdijk has proved that for a connected, locally connected topos X, the
map ends: X^I -> XxX is an open surjection.

(Here I = [0,1] is the closed real interval, and if p: I -> X then
ends(p) = (p(0), p(1)).)

This is interpreted as the appropriate point-free way to say that X is
path-connected, so connected, locally connected => path connected -
which goes against the classical account. Part of the issue is that a
point-free surjection is not necessarily surjective on points.

Hence even for locally connected spaces, which are supposed to be the
well behaved ones, the path-connected components got from the topos
theory (which, by Moerdijk's result, agree with the connected
components) may be different from the ones got from point-set topology.

All the best,

Steve.