categories - Category Theory list
From: "Eduardo J. Dubuc" <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>
To: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Topos theory for spaces of connected components
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 17:46:34 -0300	[thread overview]

For any topos in SGA4 SLN 169 IV Exercice 8.7 it is established that the
constant sheaf functor has a proadjoint. Thus the "connected components"
of any topos form a proset, which in the locally connected case is an
actual set. I do not remember a characterization of the category
Pro(Set), but I do remember that the category Pro(finiteSet) is the
category of stone spaces (this means that the inverse limit set with the
product topology wholy characterize the proset). Thus, the topos with an
Stone space of connected component are those in which the proset of
connected components is a proset of finite sets. This are exactly the
quasi-compact Topos (all covers of 1 admits a finite subcover). Obvious
question is if this can be extended to the general case, that is taking
the inverse limit of the proset with the product topology (that is,
totally disconnected topological spaces). We know this can not be the
case since the inverse limit may be empty, but may be the inverse limit
in the category of locales is worth to investigate.

Best   e.d.