categories - Category Theory list
From: Marta Bunge <bunge@math.mcgill.ca>
To: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>, categories@mta.ca
Cc: Marta Bunge <bunge@math.mcgill.ca>, marta.bunge@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Topos theory for spaces of connected components
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 07:37:04 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

Dear Steve,

Curiously enough, what you describe about how to get a point of MX (a cosheaf, or distribution) is precisely what did in 1990.  I communicated it privately to Lawvere at Como 1990, as he was the one who had left the question as an open one. My method to do that was that of "forcing topologies" (Tierney)and not unlike what is done in the Joyal-Tierney paper except for forgetting the lex part. Unfortunately, when I sent a paper "Cosheaves and distributions on toposes" containing this result to Peter Freyd for the JPAA, whoever refereed it rejected it without giving a reason, but I know that it was my fault as the paper was not too clearly written. I subsequently sent it to Algebra Universalis where it did appear (same title and alas, still not too clearly written) but very much later (1995).

That sabbatical year 1995-96 I was spent at the Universita di Genova where (not coincidentally) Aurelio (Carboni) had just taken a job away from Milan. Aurelio immediately understood my construction, but thought that it would  be "wiser" to set it in algebraic terms. This resulted in our joint paper "The symmetric topos", which this time it did appear in JPAA (1995). We did  more than that in that paper, namely to extend it to a KZ-monad and characterize its algebras. I therefore abandoned the fibrational point of view which, as you say, found its way again in my work with Jonathon (Funk) as the  complete spreads with a locally connected domain. However, just this morning (and before reading what you just wrote) I was thinking of using the fibrational approach again for constructing the topos NX corresponding to the upper power locale, just as the topos MX corresponds to the lower power locale.

It seems to me now that modulo some differences this is what you are trying  to do yourself. Of course it would be "wiser" as Aurelio would have said, to do it "algebraically" and this is what I did for the coherent monad in my "Pitts paper" (2015). So I am pursuing that line as well. I will read the  rest of your message later and maybe respond to your question about it privately. It may take a few days as other things are interfering with my work  at present.

Many thanks for your remarks.

All the best,
Marta