categories - Category Theory list
From: Marta Bunge <bunge@math.mcgill.ca>
To: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
Cc: categories@mta.ca, marta.bunge@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Topos theory for spaces of connected components
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 20:04:40 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

Dear Steve,

You wrote:

> Topos theory gives a solid account of local connectedness, where each
> open -  indeed, each sheaf - has a set (discrete space) of connected
> components.
[...]
> Is there an analogous theory for where the space of connected
> components is Stone? ("Connected" is now defined by orthogonality
> with respect to Stone spaces instead of discrete spaces.)

I have only partial answers to your question.

Consider F a bdd S-topos, not necessarily locally connected. There are two instances of non-discrete localic generalizations of the discrete \Pi_0(F) of connected components that may be relevant. They were both reported in my  lecture "On two non-discrete localic generalizations of \pi_0” at the Colloque Internationale ‘Charles Ehresmann : 100 ans”, Amiens, 2005. An abstract is included in Cahiers de Top.et Geo.Diff.Cat 46-3 (2005). A fuller account of my lecture can be found in my Research Gate page. It consists of two unrelated parts.

The first part (otherwise unpublished) reports my construction of the totally (paths) disconnected topos P_0(F) of path components of F by collapsing paths to a point. It was also the subject matter of a lecture that I gave at UNIGE Seminar in 2003, and of another that I gave at the Workshop on the Ramifications of category Theory, Firenze, 2003.

The second part (in collaboration with J. Funk, published as “Quasicomponents in topos theory : the hyperpure-complete spread factorization”, Math.. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc 142. 2007 ) contains a construction of  the zero-dimensional topos \P_0(F) of quasicomponents of F.

Both reduce to the usual (discrete) in the case of a locally connected topos F.

With best regards,
Marta