categories - Category Theory list
From: Matias M <matias.menni@gmail.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Reflection to 0-dimensional locales
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 16:06:45 -0300	[thread overview]

Dear colleagues,

this is to clarify my references to one of George Janelidze's messages in
this thread and to add a couple of comments about preservation of finite
products by pizero.

> My question above is mentioned (among many other things) in the message
> of Matias Menni posted on February 8, although it is not clear to me
> whether
> or not Matias already knew then that the answer to it is negative.

I did not know.

> I also don't understand what exactly does Matias mean by asking whether or
> not the
> inclusion functor
> 0-Dimensional locales--->Locales
> "is the result of a variant of Bill's construction (using an exponentiating
> object and a `good' factorization system)".

Apologies, I inserted my question in the wrong place.
What I meant to ask is the following.
Let L : Locales ---> Locales be the monad determined by the inclusion
0-Dimensional locales--->Locales.
Is it the case that the unit
X ---> L X
is the first component of a factorization
X ---> L X ---> 2^(2^X)
of the canonical map to a double dualization, where 2 is a suitable
exponentiating object in Locales?

> Note that Matias speaks of
> preservation of finite products while the reflection
> Locales--->0-Dimensional locales
> does not preserve them.

I did not mean to suggest that a positive answer to my question would
entail an answer to George's question. I simply wanted to understand the
construction of
L : Locales ---> Locales
in terms that I find more familiar.
(The finite-product preservation result I mentioned is not applicable to
Locales.)

> Note also the big (and well known) difference between semi-left-exactness
> and preservation of finite products: for every locally connected topos E
> with coproducts, the functor
> Pizero : E--->Sets
> is a semi-left-exact reflection - but if it were always finite product
> preserving, then, say, homotopy theory would not exist (all fundamental
> groups of 'good' spaces would be trivial)...

Concerning local connectedness, finite-product preservation of pizero and
even some homotopy theory, let me add a couple of related remarks.

The reason I looked for a finite-product preserving pizero in the Tbilisi
paper comes from
  "Axiom 1" in Lawvere's "Categories of spaces ..." paper, TAC Reprint 9,
which postulates an essential geometric morphism
Gamma: E ---> S
such that the leftmost adjoint
Gamma_! : E ---> S
preserves finite products.
Then Lawvere says:
"The axiom is necessary for the naive construction of the homotopic passage
from
quantity to quality; namely, it insures that (not only Gamma_* but also)
Gamma_! is a closed functor thus inducing a second way of associating an
S-enriched category to each E-enriched category
[...]
For example, E itself as an E-enriched category gives rise to a homotopy
category in which
[E](X, Y )=Gamma_!(Y^X)."

Axiomatic Cohesion (TAC 2007) continued the work in "Categories of spaces
..." introducing, among other things, the axiom:

(Nullstellensatz)  The canonical Gamma_* ---> Gamma_! is epic

which captures the intuition that every piece has a point.

The above is one source of inspiration for Johnstone's TAC 2011 paper where
he studies locally connected geometric morphisms
p: E ---> S
such that the leftmost adjoint p_! : E ---> S preserves finite products.
Among other things he shows that:
if p: E ---> S is lc, hyperconnected and local then p_! preserves finite
products.

It also follows from Johnstone's results that:
if p: E ---> S is lc and local then, p is hyperconnected iff
the Nullstellensatz holds.

A rough conclusion that one may arrive at is that:
if pizero does not preserve finite products then there is some connected
space without points.

Apologies again for the lack of clarity in my previous message.
I look forward to see how the different aspects of the 'pizero idea' evolve
and I am glad that Steve Vickers' message brought them up.

All the best,

Matías