categories - Category Theory list
* Logic for Children (workshop) - updates and resources
@ 2018-02-17 23:18 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2018-02-17 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi list,

we - me and Fernando Lucatelli - are organizing a workshop called
"Logic for Children" that will happen in the UniLog 2018 in Vichy,
France, in june 21-26.  We announced it here a few months ago and we
received a lot of feedback from people who are interested on the theme
but who will not be able to attend it, so we organized their material
and made it available here:

   http://angg.twu.net/logic-for-children-2018.html#resources

If you have something to add or would like to receive periodical
updates, please get in touch!

ABOUT THE WORKSHOP

The "children" in "logic for children" means "people without
mathematical maturity", which in its turn means people who:

   * have trouble with very abstract definitions,

   * prefer starting from particular cases (and then generalize),

   * handle diagrams better than algebraic notations,

   * like to use diagrams and analogies.

If we say that categorical definitions are "for adults" - because they
may be very abstract - and that particular cases, diagrams, and
analogies are "for children", then our intent ith this workshop
becomes easy to state.  "Children" are willing to use "tools for
children" to do mathematics, even if they will have to translate
everything to a language "for adults" to make their results dependable
and publishable, and even if the bridge between their tools "for
children" and "for adults" is somewhat defective, i.e., if the
translation only works on simple cases...

We are interested in that _bridge_ between maths "for adults" and "for
children" in several areas.  Maths "for children" are hard to publish,
even informally as notes, so often techniques are rediscovered over
and over, but kept restricted to the "oral culture" of the area.

Our main intents with this workshop are:

   * to discuss (over coffee breaks!) the techniques of the "bridge"
     that we currently use in seemingly ad-hoc ways,

   * to systematize and "mechanize" these techniques to make them
     quicker to apply,

   * to find ways to publish those techniques - in journals or
     elsewhere,

   * to connect people in several areas working in related ideas, and
     to create repositories of online resources.

Cheers! =)
   Eduardo Ochs and Fernando Lucatelli
   http://angg.twu.net/logic-for-children-2018.html

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-02-17 23:18 UTC | newest]