categories - Category Theory list
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Point-free affine real line?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:52:38 -0700	[thread overview]

  > Not quite: the affine rational line doesn't have a definable total order,
> since it has order-reversing automorphisms, so any definition using
> Dedekind sections is problematic.

Morphism-wise, since the affine transformations are just the composition of
a linear transformation with a translation, and translation of the rational
line preserves order, affinity can't be the problem here.

Structure-wise, one can equip the rational line with either its linear
combinations or its linear order, or both.  Using both eliminates the
order-reversing linear transformations.   "Affine" only makes sense in the
context of having the linear combinations, as "affine" limits the linear
combinations to those whose coefficients sum to one.   If it is ok for the
linear combinations and the linear order to coexist, it must be even more
ok for the affine combinations and the linear order to coexist.

So whether one considers the morphisms or the structure they preserve,
affinity (affineness?) must be a red herring here: any problem for the
rational line as an affine space is surely also a problem for it as a
vector space.

Vaughan Pratt