categories - Category Theory list
From: David Roberts <droberts.65537@gmail.com>
To: Peter May <may@math.uchicago.edu>
Cc: "categories@mta.ca list" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: "First" use of 'Category theory' to describe our field
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 22:42:10 +0930	[thread overview]

Dear Peter,

>For Saunders, the terminology of category theory came from Kant.

this is not what I mean. That 'category' came from Kant is well-known.
But when was the field itself called 'category theory'? That is, when
was it sufficiently established to warrant its own name, rather than
just be a method in algebraic topology/abstract algebra? Some early
books were titled 'Categories and functors' (albeit in German), rather
than 'Category theory', though we got there in the end!

Certainly by the publication of

Proceedings Sydney Category Theory Seminar 1972 /1973 (Springer LNM 420)

we have 'Category theory' in print (in a title in English), though
Ross pointed out Max Kelly's honours-level course "category theory" in
Sydney in 1965 (in principle one could track down the university
archives...). But 'category theory' as a phrase appears nowhere in the
1945 paper.

This was all just idle curiosity, though, so I'm happy to receive
replies off-list if the moderator deems this all too frivolous.

Best regards,
David

David Roberts
Webpage: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/David+Roberts