categories - Category Theory list
From: Patrik Eklund <peklund@cs.umu.se>
To: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: only_marketing_?
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 13:44:34 +0300	[thread overview]

Indeed there are many. I tried out a posting on real world applications
of CT some year ago. I did receive answers, but only a few, and they
were stylishly scattered, so I never summarized that situation.

It could be done again in some form, I wold like to believe. Kind of an
inventory, or similar. In the end, the CT community being able to point
at some success stories in these respect, would be useful in many ways
and for many, I can imagine. And they will inspire to come up with more.

---

Microsoft could be mentioned. They shouted 'Bayesian' around 1995-96
(was it?) in Los Angeles Times, pointing finger towards Denmark. Later
on, many of us know how monads have been manipulated into functional,
F#, LINQ, etc by Microsoft Research at Cambridge. LINQ is favoured by
many DBMS programmers using the Visual Studio environment, even if
probably only a few are really well versed in how CT and monads support
it.

---

My own take on the practicality of CT is having a category as kind of
canvas for information representation. Expressions and the term functor
is then a good example. Being over Set, expressions are just
traditional, but being over something else, expressions become annotated
with bits and pieces taken from that underlying category. We have been
trying out applications using classification and terminology in health
care. Expressions using such terminologies, do they come with hidden
structures not easily to be identified and recovered if going over Set
only? That Microsoft/monad thing is just over Set, as are basically all
programming models.

---

Best,

Patrik