categories - Category Theory list
From: Fernando Lucatelli Nunes <lucatellinunes@uc.pt>
To: Joseph Collins <joseph.collins@strath.ac.uk>
Cc: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Formally adding morphisms
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 06:58:59 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Joseph,

The objects of a category A is in bijective relation with the functors 1\to
A, in which 1 is the terminal category.

The free addition of a morphism in a category is actually a very particular
case of a Cat-weighted colimit (see Limits indexed by category-valued
2-functors, Street), called coinserter (see pag. 307 of Elementary
observations on 2-categorical limits, Kelly), in Cat.
Given a pair of objects x: 1\to A, y: 1\to A, the coinserter of the pair x:
1\to A and y: 1\to A is the category you are looking for (and, as any
Cat-enriched colimit of them Cat-category Cat, it can be constructed out of
the coequalizers, coproducts and products).

Fernando